- Strategic development and oversight, and updating the CST website, including keeping content up to date, writing news articles (based on CST journal articles, theses, popular media and interviews), communicating upcoming events, managing the blog (writing posts or editing posts written by staff and students), and managing the CST’s social media accounts. Maintaining strategic alignment with Stellenbosch University¿s outreach and branding.
- Project management of the development of CST publications, such as printed reports, policy briefs, brochures, and the annual review. This includes managing all aspects of the publication production, including liaising with researchers, designers and copy editors to produce print ready documents for physical and digital dissemination, and sourcing appropriate service providers to achieve objectives;
- Developing popular science materials, by translating the scientific work of the CST into digestible, understandable copy or short videos for the broader public for dissemination through various media, including the website, social media, broadcast, online and print publications as well as through CST publications;
- Liaising with the media, including writing, targeting and issuing news releases and articles, liaising with relevant media for the publication of news releases and articles, setting up interviews, responding to media enquiries, and promoting CST staff as expert commentators in broadcast and print media. Liaising with the Stellenbosch University media and related offices;
- Assisting with the marketing of the CST’s academic programmes, including overseeing the creation of fliers, social media posts, and the annual prospectus;
- Assisting with the communication needs of CST’s externally funded projects. The CST manages several external websites and mailing lists including those of sapecs.org and goodanthropocenes.org and related social media accounts. This work may range from providing support in updating websites, managing social media, writing news articles and press releases, and updating the related mailing lists, amongst others.
- At least five years’ work experience in communication management, including strategy development, research, writing and media production;
- Experience in writing about a range of sustainability-related topics;
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise work in order to meet deadlines;
- The ability to multi-task;
- Meticulous execution of duties and a high level of attention to detail;
- The ability to write very well and to function effectively in a multilingual and multicultural environment;
- Proficiency in MS Office, WordPress and social media;
- Self-motivated, proactive and the ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- The ability to delegate tasks and oversee student assistants
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree relating to communication (e.g., journalism, marketing, media, communication);
- Relevant training and/or experience demonstrating a strong scientific understanding of the sustainability field; and/or a strong understanding of and experience in writing about sustainability topics;
- Experience as a communications expert working in participatory interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary environments with minimal daily supervision of work and schedules;
- Media relations experience;
- Skills in design and design software (e.g., Adobe, Canvas) are an added advantage;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build, grow and maintain networks;
- Familiarity with communications channels at the University of Stellenbosch.
How To Apply:
Stellenbosch University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as the institutional EE Plan of the University.
Stellenbosch University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email addresses of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
APPLY ONLINE AT https://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers BY USING THE APPLY NOW LINK AT THE TOP RIGHT-HAND CORNER OF THE SPECIFIC VACANCY PAGE.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four to six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding this post: Cornelia Jacobs on 021 808 4406, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits, as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753, or at email@example.com
Commencement Date: 01-Jan-2023
Closing Date: 14-Nov-2022