ABOUT CONSERVATION ALPHA
Conservation Alpha is working to change how conservation is valued, managed, and financed by promoting results-based outcomes as the basis for effective delivery and to catalyse large-scale financing for biodiversity conservation. Conservation Alpha combines rigorous business management practices with robust conservation science and effective management approaches, based on decades of collective experience, to improve the scale and effectiveness of conservation practices. We support our clients to:
1. develop strategic frameworks to guide decision making;
2. measure and verify impact cost-effectively to understand and improve performance;
3. design programmes and governance-management structures to effectively implement change; 4. create innovative, large-scale financing mechanisms to drive change.
Conservation Alpha aims to create a positive work culture where our team works on cutting-edge and highly impactful projects, where individuals are empowered to perform, excited to work, and feel respected.
For more information, visit https://www.conservationalpha.com.
Conservation Alpha is seeking a candidate to fulfil the role of Technical Officer. The role of the Technical Officer is highly dynamic and may require, but is not limited to, rigorous sourcing, cleaning, and management of information and data, conducting analyses and creating data visuals, including maps, and assisting in the coding and development of outcomes-management systems. The ideal candidate possesses foundational knowledge in the natural sciences—ideally with a specialisation in conservation science—but is also highly adept at analysing information and identifying solutions. The Technical Officer will report to and support the Lead – Conservation Science.
The position is largely desk-based, but offers to opportunity for fieldwork, including ecological surveys on a project-specific basis. The position offers the opportunity for career and skill development dependent upon the competencies and interests of the hired candidate. This position is based remotely, preferably within South Africa or Kenya.
- Conduct desktop research on topics within conservation science and ecology to support the design of protected area management strategies and innovative financing mechanisms
- Conduct field work, research, and analyses in line with assigned project objectives
- Data entry, proofing, analysis, and presentation with adherence to the principles of data transparency
- Assist in the preparation of deliverables, including graphics, writing content, and copy-editing
- Provide technical support to the Strategy Team and Directors, as needed
- Ensure adherence to project timelines and requirements
- Represent the organisation and its conservation goals at conferences, meetings, and other events
- MSc in ecology, conservation, wildlife management, or another related discipline
- At least three years of work experience
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of field programmes, projects or field-based research projects, particularly in Africa
- Right to work in country of residence
- Exceptional attention to detail and data management competency
- Self-motivation, capacity to learn new skills, and the ability to work independently
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Clear written communication including the ability to synthesise concepts with accurate citations
- Extraction and cleaning of data and information from multiple sources and formats
- Use of R/Python for analysis and visualisation of data
- Manipulation of spatial data, including plotting
- PhD in ecology, conservation, wildlife management, or another related discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of conservation science and practical experience
- Experience leading or conducting vegetation surveys
- Experience with Git, Docker, Shiny, RDBMS, and cloud computing
- Familiarity with protected area management
- Familiarity with carbon markets
To apply for this position, submit the following in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A cover letter of no more than two pages detailing your ability to meet the outlined requirements andnecessary competencies, as well as any additional relevant skills that should be highlighted
- A resume or curriculum vitae, including all relevant academic and work experienceOnly shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been identified.