Faculty of AgriSciences | Stellenbosch University
Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology
Senior Lecturer / Lecturer
Two-year contract appointment
The Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology is a forward-thinking and dynamic department that brings together a considerable body of teaching and research in the rapidly growing and important field of the conservation of biodiversity in utilised landscapes and their surrounds. In principle, our aim is to sustain agricultural and forestry production without compromising the natural viability of the agricultural land mosaic. Our range of expertise includes integrated pest management, conservation of natural communities, management of living resources – including wildlife management, ecological restoration, conservation best-practices, physiological ecology and technology transfer.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and learning within the Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology;
- Conducting an active and productive research programme to give opportunity at being a new research focus area within the Department and publication of such research in relevant, peer-reviewed journals;
- Developing and evaluating course material, particularly in systems ecology of utilised landscapes;
- Sourcing and managing external research funds;
- Supervision of postgraduate students;
- Developing national and international research and industry partnerships and networks;
- Involvement with community interaction projects;
- Involvement with administrative service delivery at Departmental, Faculty and University level.
- PhD in Ecology, Conservation Science, or an equivalent degree;
- Proven experience in an active teaching programme related to systems ecology of utilised landscapes;
- Proven ability to intergrate the fields of plant physiology, soil science, plant health and general ecology;
- Proficiency in statistics; e.g., multivariate statistics;
- Peer-reviewed scientific publications, particularly in the field of systems ecology of utilised landscapes, commensurate with the level of appointment;
- The ability and proficiency to obtain external research funding commensurate with the level of appointment;
- Relevant experience in industry-related, applied research and engagement;
- Postgraduate student supervision commensurate with the level of appointment;
- Active involvement with community interaction projects;
- Language proficiency suited to a multilingual university;
- A valid driver’s licence.
Commencement of duties: 1 October 2022
Closing date: 29 June 2022
Enquiries regarding this post: Prof. Francois Roets on 021 808 2635, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits, as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753, or at email@example.com
Stellenbosch University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as the institutional EE Plan of the University.
Stellenbosch University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email addresses of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
APPLY ONLINE AT https://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers BY USING THE APPLY NOW LINK AT THE TOP RIGHT-HAND CORNER OF THE SPECIFIC VACANCY PAGE.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires people in occupations that entail potential exposure to certain hazards (such as, but not limited to: noise, hazardous chemical substances and hazardous biological agents) to be subjected to medical screening, to determine their fitness to work in the said occupations.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four to six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.